After the First meeting of TELUS International Bulgaria Community Board for 2019, 14 new projects were funded
On March 20, the first TELUS International Bulgaria Community Board meeting for 2019 was held. Following the first open call to the NGO sector, 111 applications were received and after a preliminary selection process, 19 were submitted for discussion during the Board meeting. The Community Board decided to support 14 projects that will receive financial support totaling the amount of BGN 82, 600. This time the majority of supported projects are in the field of education, but worth noting is the significant increase in the number of environmental protection projects that were submitted.
The voting for the projects took place after an agreed upon change in the members of the Community Board. This year, five new people joined the team of experts and publicly recognized leaders in Bulgaria to work on the three priority areas - health, education and environmental protection for the duration of the next Board mandate of 3 years.
The current Board members
● Elvin Gury, Chief Executive Officer of River Styxx Capital,
● Krasimira Velichkova, Director of Bulgarian Donors Forum,
● Kristina Ivanova, Vice President Operations of TELUS International Europe,
● Xavier Marcenac, Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors of TELUS International Europe,
● Levon Hampartzoumian, CEO and Chairman of the Board of UniCredit Bulbank,
● Silva Zourleva, Member of the Board of Directors of ‘NOVA Broadcasting Group’
were joined by the new members, as follows
● Kamen Krastanov, an independent expert in the field of ecology and environmental protection,
● Nadia Shabani, Director of the Bulgarian Center for Not-for-Profit Law,
● Stefania Duncheva, Human Resources Director of TELUS International Europe, and
● Julian Milev, Vice President Finance and CFO of TELUS International Europe.
Among the supported organizations after the first edition of the Board are ‘OPEN SPACE Foundation’, ‘Diabetes, Pre-Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome Foundation’, Youth LGBTI Organization ‘Deystvie’, ‘Caritas Sofia Association’, among others. The main criteria guiding the decision of TELUS International Community Board in Bulgaria are the broad spectrum of issues addressed by the projects, as well as the innovative solutions they offer.
The next open call for applications is scheduled for May and will be communicated in a special message, as well as with updated information on the Community Board website.
From its creation in 2015 until the end of 2018, the Board has funded 84 projects and has allocated over BGN 660, 000 in favor of socially significant and sustainable solutions.